Thursday, January 24, 2008

What goes into art or not...

I went to my favorite antique store for inspiration, The Great American Antique Mall. I always find it in their bargain basement. Yesterday it was 20% off! Can I get a "Hell Ya!"

Well, I found the perfect thing. It was a wood square frame (dove tailed) with two metal screws with hockey stick ends drilled through each side and meeting in the middle. Joining the two screw ends was this threaded, 2 inch, oblong metal ring. The screws didn't quite meet in the middle, but with some fussing I could thread them closer or farther apart. I had visions of placing some little balled thing in the middle and bolting it to one of my encaustic covered wood panels.

Well, I'm holding all my treasures in my arms like a schoolgirl holds her books and the shoe was dropped. "Are you planning on buying that?" Says Jack the storekeeper. "Because we use that for our bed frames. It isn't for sale."

Damn.

He was nice about it, but DAMN!

So, I'm a collector of odd, rusty things that sometimes make it into artwork:
"Bugird"

"Teeter and Totter"


Or they are a little more refined and subtle like the antique book in "When Silent":



And sometimes they are just art in waiting:

I was so happy when I found this 1 ball. While shopping, I was gleefully tossing it up and down in my hand WHEN...you guessed it, I dropped it. It split in half. Shit. But, I think it will be easier to incorporate into something. We'll see.

I'm excited about that tool:


Sometimes they are just inspiration like this "Dirty Sock Boy":

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hell yeah!
love that little dolly! creepy but very awesome.

Julia said...

Update...
I found the "thing" they wouldn't let me buy at Great American antique store...and it went into the work "Growing Wings!" Check it out.