Saturday, May 02, 2009

The wheels go round and round.

I'm going on 6 weeks without a car. I've been biking my butt off. It should be coming off soon. I blew out my back tire when I piled on two sacks of groceries and my ass. I'm just guessing that is what happened, but secretly hoping it was a nail.

Yesterday, I road home from work in the rain. I put on this giant blue tarp of a poncho and belted it with a bungee cord. I felt like a wind sail pedaling hard against the wind and any minute I would be airborne. I passed a long line of cars with drivers looking grumpy and grim. Grinning like a goof, I was hoping I would get at least a thumbs up or a encouraging honk. It IS bike month! Nope, nothing. I only passed two people on the usually very busy bike path. I rang my bike bell and waved enthusiastically. I received the "What the hell are we doing on our bikes?" grin. I told everyone I road in the rain and received little to no sympathy. Yes, I do believe I deserve a medal.

Biking to work tips:
1. Roll your work clothes to keep them from being a wadded, wrinkled mess when you get to work.
2. Take sunscreen and apply liberally 30 minutes prior or you will end up with a crooked V-shaped sunburn on your chest.
3. Go to the bathroom before you leave because it is usually a long way home.
4. Learn to change a bike tire.
5. Take rain gear, but don't count on it keeping you dry.
6. Know the bus schedules just in case you are just plain tired of pedaling.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Julia - this post about riding to work is a RIOT as well as very imformative! I saw you listed Karen Savoca on your profile - love her - just blogged about seeing her in Syracuse last month. She was EXCELLENT as always!