Thursday, April 13, 2006

I'm a cheater.

I cheated. I’m posting to the world in an attempt at a karmic apology. Many of you may remember my BIG art project for the year. This project was to start on January 1, 2006. My project was to do a piece of art a day. Then I asked you, my kind readers to assist me with my project calculations so that each piece would be the same size and then become a part of a bigger piece representing everyday of 2006. I think you may know where this is going, but it is a bit more disheartening then you may think…

Excuses starting here: January 1, 2006 approached with much anticipation. I ordered 31 small wood squares (4” x 4”) from Dick Blick adding in the additional cost for speedy and on-time delivery. The day before the project…no squares and I was to leave town for a work trip. I already had planned to take my project on the road but didn’t account for being squareless.

Here is where my deviance reared its ugly head: I didn’t do a project on Day 1 or Day 2…waiting for the squares I thought, I’ll just do a bunch on they day they arrive. Day 3 arrives, squares arrive, but I was tired. They can wait for Day 4 as I will have time to crank them out and no one would be the wiser. Day 16…still nothing but the broad strokes of guilt. Maybe I could take a long weekend and just get an assembly line started and then stay true to the project’s description of doing a piece a day. I started sifting through old drawings and putting the wood squares over interesting parts of them, x-actoing them out…yet, I was too lazy to even glue them on the wooden squares!

Then I thought, maybe I’ll wait until my birthday and begin the project then…May 31. So there you have it, I’ve come clean. You have my word I shall not cheat you again on my grand artistic endeavors. I will be true to all pre-described project guidelines. I will come clean on all failures and publicly note all deviations to said project. I will not try and sneak in any of the pre-cut drawings I made for the former back-dated project. Promise.

My next project will start on May 31st and I will do a piece for each day of my birthday year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am watching you....and waiting...something akin to the 300 pieces commenorating the slaughter in Breslan, Russia. And I have 15 done.