Saturday, August 27, 2005

A Collector's Collection

Throughout the years I have slowly added to my art collection. It started when I was in college and my intaglio printmaking professor Ray George had us contribute to suites. For example, we would have 8 students contribute 8 prints each to 8 nicely made suite portfolios. That started the “art swap” among students. My collection of prints probably adds up to 20 – 40 prints from my fellow student artists and professors.

While in school I was a teaching assistant for a Visiting Artists program. That basically entailed me driving, making copies for, organizing art lecture receptions and basically being all around gopher for the selected Visiting Artist. I had the opportunity to work with an amazing Chicago artist named John Fraser. Because of my assistance, he gave me this piece. His work is minimal, complex, calming and makes my chest fill up as if I am sitting on a rock at the river.

Every artist has dated another artist. This piece by Daryl Cardwell, a Wisconsin artist, was given to me as a present and thankfully not taken back. This is an amazing composition made of charcoal, acrylic and graphite.

This is the first piece I purchased from a gallery. As a printmaker, I am in awe of John W. Ford’s print “Right of Passage.” No, this isn’t a computer generated “print”, this piece is a multiple color, multiple plate, hand-rolled, hand-pulled Intaglio print. This poor photograph doesn’t capture the detail and intense quiet chaos.

I am easily charmed by a bit of whimsy. And charmed I was by these little people and knew they needed to be part of my family. Gary Wray made the “Tiki Head Family.” Gary is a local artist and B movie producer. Pat Griffin made this bust of a two-sided lady. The other side is a more somber and sad lady…I like them both, but prefer a woman with a little sass!

Nancy Torii is one of my favorite local artists. (See her at TES Exquisite Corpse show) When I saw her piece, “The Marvelous Hat” it haunted me at night. I thought about the piece for months and knew it needed to be in my home. Nancy’s visions are made of intense color, detail, and worlds within worlds. Her work has changed me.

I must include a very special piece given to me by my Poppy. He is a corporate manager by day, but a talented artist/woodcarver by weekend. I love the softness of this baby bird. It never fails to make me smile.

This is only a sampling of my collection and what wraps me each time I walk into my home. Want to work on your collection? Visit The Empty Space Gallery!

No comments: