Monday, July 10, 2006

How do you do that?

The most common comment about my work is “Is that wax?” followed by, “How do you do that?” I have a short spiel that I have refined that goes something like this: “The medium is called encaustic spelled e-n-c-a-u-s-t-i-c. The medium is made out of beeswax with dammar resin which is tree sap. Encaustic is a molten process which means I have to heat the medium on a hotplate and use a heat gun to fuse each layer of wax to the next layer. I paint with the encaustic using brushes like you would oil or acrylic.” If the person looks intrigued or like they want to know more I will give a little more detail on history of the medium as well as describe details from the pieces I have displayed.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for improvement?

I recently became a member of the West Coast Encaustic Artist group. It is a budding organization that is working at helping each other network, get gallery shows and lecturing opportunities.

I have also been researching artist residencies and grant opportunities. I will start posting the opportunities I find interesting.

Two great links to lists:
A Giant List of Artist Stuff! (Check out the Residency list!)
A Small List of Residencies

Join this: Women's Caucus for Art

3 comments:

Matildakay said...

Ohhh that sounds really cool! Would love to see some of your 'wax' work.

mel... said...

I live close to the Art League Houston and was checking out their site a week ago. Noticed that they have classes, of which are some sessions on encaustics. Unfortunately they are on Fridays during the day. Thought of you when I saw it though:

http://www.artleaguehouston.org/artclasses.html

Anonymous said...

I love your work. You're such a beautiful and talented woman with an uncanny ability to express yourself - the end result is a beautiful and inspiring creative work, containing pieces of your soul. Irreplicable, rare, beautiful, wonderful and valuable - just like you. Keep it going. We're loving your creative touches out here in the world!