Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Me and Laddie John Dill!

During the Bakersfield Museum of Art Small Works Juried Exhibition, I got to hang with juror Laddie John Dill! The anticipation during the awards ceremony was grueling, but the result was grand. As Laddie was discussing why he chose my work for the award my mind was racing. He turned the mike over to the second place winner, Betty Finch to ask about her process in making her fanciful gourd work. All I could think about was please don't turn the mike over to me. Now, I'm not one to shy away from public speaking opportunities, but for some reason I thought please not now. Well, Laddie must have noticed the fright in my eyes and the fact that my face and ears turned bright red and spared me from a case of stage fright.

Thank you Barbara Reid (another artist included in the small works show) for purchasing my favorite little baby piece on the right "Falling" and taking the photograph below (if you look closely at my neck you can see how red I am - thus the reason I included her very cool, combo black and white/color photo):


Photo Credit: Barbara Reid

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that photo. Two artists; two appreciators. Some day it will be you holding the mic and awarding another “youngster.” =)

Winning "Best of Show" two years in a row by two different sets of jurors should be "handwriting on the wall." Read it!

By the way, I would love to watch you work in encaustic some day. I might be interested in trying it.

Matildakay said...

Congrats on the Best of Show!

Anonymous said...

I suspect it's been a long strange trip from soybean pollinating to best of show?

Julia said...

Wow..."anonymous" must be a huge blast from my past. Yes, I was considered a "bean pimp" back in the day. I would spend endless summers (from age 12 - 19) sitting in the middle of a field with tweezers, a dixie cup and carpet squares cross-pollintating soybeans. If you look at my work...seems like pollinating made an impact on me!

Wow...nothing like an anonymous comment to make a connection I didn't think was that strong!

Julia said...

By the way, doesn't it look like Laddie is singing to me?

Maybe...
"Islands in the stream...that is what we are...no one in between...how could we be wrong.."

Nick Belardes said...

I feel like singing in the rain! If it would only rain! congrats!