Friday, January 11, 2008

Influence through Improv!

My "Influence through Improv!" leadership workshop has been booked for a conference! I'm a scheduled speaker for the United Way Professional Development Conference for Non-Profits on February 26.

My workshop description:
"Influence through Improv": Let go of “looking good” and embrace “being in the moment!” Within this creative workshop, we will explore taking risks in a safe environment to unleash your inner “real character.” As a group, we will use introductory improv techniques to improve your ability to listen, trust yourself and influence those around you. Leave your thinking self at the door and be ready to say “YES!” to play.


My workshop isn't just improv games, although we do a lot of them. The critical piece is helping the participants make the connection from the abstract activity to what they do everyday. I emphasize the "What will you do differently when you leave here today?" coaching method. Recently, I facilitated a program with 45 executives in Lake Tahoe. The energy in the room went from groans to cheers. I worked closely with the Vice President of the group to make sure I made connections to their plans for 2008 and what it meant to be an aspirational leader. I've finally combined my 12 years management, leadership development and coaching with art, acting and writing to help create creative connections between business and art.

This was quite the contrast from a Improv workshop I did for a group of sixty 3-5 year olds in the Children of Migrant Farm Worker program. With the assistance of two performance artists we told a story as a large group. As I told the story, the dancers acted it out and when we needed sound effects I pointed to a picture of a dog, cat, wind or rain. The kids barked, meowed, stomped and clapped throughout the story. What a hoot!

Stay tuned...I'm working on an art class for business professionals! Oh my!

2 comments:

Missy said...

it sounds like a lot of exciting things are going on!!!
good luck!

Anonymous said...

Your totally rock! Hurray for you!